12.19.2009

One more thing….


…we’re engaged!

It’s been a while and after repeated questioning as to why I haven’t blogged about such a significant event I’ve succumbed to the pressure…but let’s be honest, updating my blog wasn’t exactly on the immediate to do list after asking Emily to marry me.


Well, for those who are interested, here is how it went down.



Some important back story:

Three weeks prior to Thanksgiving I flew out to Boulder and Emily and I went ring shopping. Our goal was to find out what she liked and what looked good on her hand. We found a couple of rings that we both really liked at a very cool jewelry store in Boulder but no decisions were made. When I arrived back in Santa Barbara I called to see if they could make a ring for me before Thanksgiving (16 days away). They said yes, I told them what I wanted and it was in my hands 26 hours before my plane left for Colorado.



Thanksgiving:

Arrived in Westcliffe at Emily’s parents house late Wednesday night. Had a good Thanksgiving day with just the immediate fam. Since Thursday was our 1 year anniversary we had talked about going for a walk on Friday morning to reflect about our year together. We set off in a beautiful sunny day to a place above her parents property that has been a meaningful location for us during the past year. Once there we threw a blanket down and, enjoying the view of the valley, had a sweet time remembering our year together and marveling that we were together. She had no idea what was coming. I pulled out a journal for her that I had made. I had written on a few pages and added ticket stubs from my trips to visit her and our vacation together etc. The last ticket stub was from my trip out to look at rings with her and under it was written, “we looked at rings…” and on the next page it said, “…and I found one”, at which point I got down on my knee, pulled out the ring and asked if she would marry me. I was glad she said yes before she really started crying because there were a few minutes of incomprehensible “oh my gosh’s!” and “are you serious’s!”.We got to enjoy some more time there before going back to the house to a waiting family. So 4 years, 10months, 8 days after our first date (that’s Feb 19th 2005) we are engaged and it was worth every second of the wait.



So there you have it. We are engaged, I am moving to Boulder on February 12th and we’re getting married next summer. We are very excited and I’m already looking for a place to live near Boulder!



You can find out more about Emily here and here are some pics to enjoy!




Here we are moments after she said yes!



And for all you ladies out there...here is the ring...







Merry Christmas!



1 comment:

Marta said...

It's a great story, Adam. A big congratulations to you both. I can hardly wait to shake it down at your wedding!